USG formed in 1902, when around 20 gypsum companies around the U.S. came together with a network of gypsum mines, quarries and processing plants. The Alabaster operation was one of those quarries, and today it’s one of USG’s three remaining original locations to operate continuously. The quarry has provided top-quality native gypsum for more than 120 years, serving critical industries like construction, agriculture and so much more.
Today, USG is the industry leader in gypsum products, and Alabaster gypsum continues to play an important role. As the existing quarry nears the end of its decades-long production life, USG has applied for state permits to create a new quarry operation on property it purchased in 2018. The multi-phase operation will serve USG operations in Michigan and the Great Lakes region for decades ahead.
The Avery Quarry is named to honor Sewell Avery, owner of the original Alabaster quarry and President of USG for 30 years. It is the company’s way to honor its past, even as we look to the next 120 years of supplying gypsum, creating jobs, and fueling the nation’s construction industry.
We look forward to share updates with you, our community, as this project progresses. Learn more in these documents and resources:
Have questions or want to talk? Reach the USG team at AlabasterProject@usg.com.